Septic System 101
Households that are not served by public sewers usually depend on septic systems to treat and dispose of wastewater. Septic systems represent a significant financial investment. If cared for properly, a well designed, installed, and maintained system will provide years of reliable, low-cost service.
A failing system can become a source of pollution and public health concern, causing property damage, ground and surface water pollution (such as well water—both yours and your neighbors), and disease outbreaks. Once your septic system fails to operate effectively, you may need to replace it, costing you thousands of dollars. Plus, if you sell your home, your septic system must be in good working order. Therefore, it makes good sense to understand and care for your septic system.
A standard septic tank system has three main parts:
If you have a septic system in your home that has failed, SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa has the uniformed and professional staff to clean, sanitize and deodorize your property. Our crews can be dispatched quickly to help with carpet removal, contents disposal/removal and general cleaning of your home after such failure occurs. SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa is available at (815) 416-0075 to help with your water restoration needs 24/7.
- The Septic Tank — A septic tank's purpose is to separate solids from the wastewater, store and partially decompose as much solid material as possible, while allowing the liquid (or effluent) to go to the drainfield.
- The Drainfield — After solids settle in the septic tank, the liquid wastewater (or effluent) is discharged to the drainfield, also known as an absorption or leach field.
- The Soil — The soil below the drainfield provides the final treatment and disposal of the septic tank effluent. After the wastewater has passed into the soil, organisms in the soil treat the effluent before it percolates downward and outward, eventually entering ground or surface water. The type of soil also impacts the effectiveness of the drainfield; for instance, clay soils may be too tight to allow much wastewater to pass through and gravelly soil may be too coarse to provide much treatment.
After a Fire Loss
The key factor about your home suffering a loss- whether it's fire, water, mold, etc.- is knowing who to call. The faster you contact SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa, the faster a trained professional will arrive on site which ultimately produces better results.
Some of the ways we would clean after a fire damage would be to perform cleanings of the contents, structure, and odor removal.
Any contents that were affected, will be cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition. SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa Professionals can also compile an inventory list of items that are “to be claimed” for insurance purposes.
A comprehensive cleaning of ceilings, walls, and flooring will also need to be done after a fire damage. We have specific equipment and cleaning products for a wide variety of surfaces within your home which will help to clean and protect.
After a fire, or even a smoke damage, you can’t necessarily just mask the odor with a fragrance. Our trained professionals will seek out the source of the smell and remove them.
If you or someone you know suffers a fire loss, give SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa a call to help put the pieces back together. (815)416-0075
Why Do Floods Occur?
A flood occurs when water occupies an area that is normally dry. All 50 states in the US have the possibility for floods- but how does flooding even happen? Below are some common causes:
Heavy Rainfall- Typically, heavy rains plus backed up drainage systems equals flooding that can occur outdoors as well as in homes and other structures.
Melting Snow or Ice- After the winter months, when everything starts to melt it must go somewhere. Fortunately, you typically have more time to prepare for this kind of flooding.
Rivers Overflowing- Whether due to heavy rainfall or broken dams, river overflows can cause flooding.
Large Storms- Larger storms (like tsunamis), can cause a surge of water to flood the land.
During inclement weather, anything can happen. If there were to be damage to your home or business, do not hesitate to give our trained professionals at SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa a call at (815)416-0075.
Many issues within your house can happen, and a flooded basement is definitely one of them that a lot of homeowners experience. A flooded basement or crawl space can happen at anytime to any house for a lot of different reasons. But don’t stress, here is a list of things you can do yourself to help remain calm and handle the situation.
- Make sure you turn off power and gas to the affected areas. Remember to never enter a flooded area while electricity is still active.
- If the flood is caused by a storm or rainfall, wait till the storm passes before you get to work on the issue. If the flood is caused by another issue, address it as soon as possible.
- Try to determine the reason for the flood. If its due to a burst pipe, shut off water to the basement pipe.
- If your basement has a floor drain, ensure it is not blocked or clogged.
- Depending on the amount of water, it’s time to start removal.
Our trained professionals at SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa are here for all of your restoration needs. Give us a call today at (815) 416-0075.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage. We are an independently owned and operated Franchise within the community. We have been servicing Morris, Ottawa and its surroundings communities for 10 years. With locally trained professionals, we offer a quick response time, day or night, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are committed to helping Village Municipalities, Real Estate Agents AND the local Insurance Agents, within our community. Keeping the agents’ loss ratios down, assisting their insureds when they experience a fire/water loss, and assuring them that we can be trusted to keeping their insureds happy with the insurance company, is key to being a valued and referred vendor. SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa has participated in local Fire/Police Department events throughout the years. We currently hold seats in a number of Fire Department Chief Associations, and with their trust in our franchise, this helps the community see that we are a valued service. We believe our commitment to these communities is key to our success!! Participation in local events is our way of meeting fellow residents, sharing our scope of services and reacting quickly to their emergency needs in vital. Our trained & professional staff is always willing to help 24/7, 365 days per year. Whether the loss happens at 2:00am or 2:00pm, our crews are ready to help! Contact our Morris/Ottawa office at (815) 416-0075 to set-up an appointment today!
Safely Grill this Summer
As we all start gearing up for Summer, we tend to spend more time outside with neighbors, family & friends. Grilling lunch or dinner while enjoying the warmer weather is a pastime shared by many. But sometimes not paying attention to our surroundings while cooking, can be very dangerous. Fire is unavoidable when it comes to preparing that perfect steak, bratwurst or burger on the grill, which means you’ve got some inherent risks right from the get-go. In fact, the NFPA reports that an average of 8,900 home fires are caused by grilling each year. Here are some fire safety tips for the grill:
SERVPRO’s trained professionals are available 24/7 for your fire restoration needs. Our staff at SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa will respond to your needs by calling (815) 416-0075. Enjoy your Spring/Summer, make sure to keep an eye on the fire and remember that we are here to help!
- While the meat is marinating, be sure to check each potentially problematic point of the grill including the propane tank, the hose, and all connecting points.
- Charcoal should be soaked with charcoal starter fluid only, so don’t let the pyro-happy Boy Scout in your family go anywhere near the grill with a container of lighter fluid, no matter how cool he swears it will be!
- Make sure the grill is clean—failing to clean the grill before and after use is a contributing factor in nearly 20% of all grill structure fires.
- Make sure the grill is set up in an open, outdoor area with nothing flammable (plants, paper products, etc.) nearby. Position the grill away from the home or RV as to not char or melt aluminum siding, windows or decking materials.
April Showers Bring May Flowers
This is a common phrase heard for many years, but as a homeowner, this phrase makes me think - “Is my sump pump still working?” No one wants to spend their Spring/Summer evenings hauling out wet contents from a flooded basement. Making that walk down the basement stairs to check that your sump pump is still working should be top priority. Melting snow and spring rains can lead to pooling water in your home. Addressing outside issues is a must for keeping a home dry, but there are also inside steps to take to avoid standing in ankle-deep water.
If your home should experience water damage from a sump pump failure, drainage issues or a foundation leak, please contact SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa at (815) 416-0075 for a no cost assessment. Our uniformed, trained technicians can extract the water, clean and sanitize the area, haul out and sort contents and get the area dry quickly to prevent mold growth. We’re available 24/7 to make it like it never even happened.
- Cracks in the foundation–even minor ones–make easy entry for water. Heavy-duty caulk can solve some small problems, but for bigger repairs, bring in a foundation specialist.
- Install a sump pump to remove water in your home, and inspect it regularly to make sure it’s working properly.
- Place outdoor clear plastic windows well covers over below-grade basement windows to let light in, but keep water out.
- If your home has a septic tank, be sure to check and clean it regularly to avoid problems during future rains.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Are you a Pastor of a Church, Manager of a Hotel or Director of a Senior Care Facility? Are you prepared to handle the clean-up of a major water/fire loss that could affect your property? When it comes to your commercial property, SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa means business. You need a company that can minimize the disruption to your clients while delivering superior results.
Whether you need professional cleaning to make your business shine, or emergency water/fire restoration services, SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa has the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Our trained professionals will work direct with the Property Manager or Maintenance Supervisor to make sure the cleaning process goes smoothly and that we address all your concerns and questions in a timely manner. Staying open during these challenging times is key to keeping the revenue flowing in with no discontinuance of service. We are available 24 hours a day to get your business back up and running. Call us at SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa at (815) 416-0075 for immediate service!
- Small Office Condominiums
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Preventative Fire Cleaning
Spring Cleaning and Fire Safety
Spring Cleaning is upon us! And though deep cleaning floors and dusting shelves are important, don’t forget about fire safety. Below are some ways for you to do some preventative cleaning in your own home.
Replace batteries in your home.
Start with replacing the batteries in your Smoke Detectors, Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Flashlights.
Clean dryer vents routinely.
Other than routinely cleaning your lint filter out before and after loads, you should also be making sure that the outdoor dryer flaps are not blocked by build-up, animal nests, etc.
Check on any extension cords.
Check to make sure that extensions cords are not overloaded as they aren’t meant to be permanently used. This is also a good time to make sure that none of your cords are frayed or cracked. Replace where needed.
Propane/charcoal grills should remain outside.
Your propane/charcoal grill should be stored and used outside only. Make sure that grill is routinely cleaned. And most importantly, make sure someone is always tending the grill.
Clean up leaves and trash from around house.
Make sure to clean up dead leaves and trash from around your house. These items may be dangerous if exposed to heat.
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa is here to help with any preventative cleaning needs. If emergency services are needed due to a fire or any other disaster give us a call 24 hours a day. (815)416-0075
Facts about Flood
According to the American Red Cross- Compared to any other weather-related disaster, floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year. Below are some tips on flood safety:
-Six inches of moving water can knock you right off your feet.
-Almost 20% of flood insurance claims come from low risk areas.
-If you are driving and come across a flooded road, turn around and find another route.
-$27,000 worth of flood damage in your home can come from just one inch of water.
-A car can be carried away by less than two feet of water.
-Make sure children stay out of water as it could be contaminated.
-According to Fema.gov, all 50 states have experienced floods within the last five years.
-Do not use a vacuum cleaner to remove water as you can cause damage to the device, or even electric shock.
When fire or water takes control of your life, SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa will help you take it back.