If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (815) 416-0075

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Space heater fire safety tips

11/20/2023 (Permalink)

According to the National Fire Protection Association nearly 1/3 of winter house fires are caused by space heaters. 

To help reduce the likelihood of a space heater fire, follow the safety tips below. 

1. Ensure there is a working fire alarm in the room the space heater is located as well as a fire extinguisher. 

2. Do not use if the wire is frayed. If the cord of plug gets hot during use, unplug the space heater and stop use immediately. 

3. Always plug a space heater directly into the outlet. Never use an extension cord or power strip.

4. Make sure the space heater is on a flat surface so it does not tip over or fall. 

5. Keep all sides of the heater a minimum of 3 feet away from walls, furniture, curtains, clothes and anything else that may be flammable. 

6. Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off before leaving the home or going to sleep. 

SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa hopes you find these safety tips helpful this winter season. 

If you need assistance with a fire or water damage this winter give our office a call 24 hours a day at (815)416-0075. Our team is available 24 hours a day to respond immediately for your fire or water damage emergency. 

Other News

View Recent Posts