If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (815) 416-0075

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Battery Charger Fire Prevention

7/23/2021 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa has received a greater number of calls in the past year for fires due to charger malfunctions than any other previous year. Because of the increase in battery charger fires in our area we would like to share some safety reminders to help prevent charger fires.  

Lithium ion batteries are lightweight rechargeable batteries that come in many items you use these days. These batteries are in laptops, cell phones, tablets, cameras, e-cigarettes and even in your children’s electric scooter.

Devices with lithium ion batteries are used safely each year by millions of people, however they do pose a fire risk when they become damaged. Damage could include a short circuit, being over charged, getting wet or even being kept in extremely hot or extremely cold climates. 

A few tips to help prevent a fire include

1. Use the charging device that came with the device. 

2. If you need to purchase a replacement charger make sure it is name brand and made for your device. Counterfeit and generic chargers can fail to meet safety standards. 

3. Do not some or use the device or battery in extreme temperatures. Extreme heat and extreme cold can cause the battery to malfunction. 

4. Unplug the charger after the device is fully charged. 

5. Do not charge on beds, couches, or cover the device or charger with anything. They do heat up and can cause great risk of a fire. 

6. Do not overload your electrical outlets. 

Please keep these tips in mind when charging your lithium ion battery powered devices. If you should need SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa or have any questions regarding charger or battery fires give us a call (815)416-0075.

Other News

View Recent Posts