Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazard contaminants are considered dangerous. These kinds of contaminants actually can pose a serious health risk. Biohazard scenarios such as sewer backups and flood waters in a home or business are more common than you may know. SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa has the training, expertise and equipment necessary to restore and clean this type of contamination. If a loss of this type does affect your home or business, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are here to help. Below are some tips on what to do and what not to do to be prepared.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (815) 416-0075
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Morris / Ottawa has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- South Ottawa